Office: (305) 348-7983
UMass Amherst in 2018 under the supervision of Professor David Irwin. Before that, I finished my first Ph.D. in Computer Science in 2014 from Northeastern University China where I was advised by Professor Guiran Chang. I also worked in industry for two years. At FIU SCIS, I lead the Cyber-Physical Systems Laboratory (CPSLab).
My research group aims to build data-driven computer systems with a particular emphasis on sustainability, system security and data privacy of Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) such as smart homes, smart grid, smart transportation, and smart cities. Our work has been spanning multiple technical fields, including machine learning, deep learning, image processing, and privacy implication. We open-source all the systems (including their evaluation datasets) we build.
- 06/2020 Organize (the 2nd) BigDataCPS'20, please consider submitting!
- 05/2020 Serve as TPC member for BuildSys'20, please consider submitting!
- 04/2020 Serve as TPC member for IGSC'20, please consider submitting!
- 04/2020 Serve as TPC member for BigData'20, Atlanta, GA, USA, please consider submitting!
- 04/2020 Qi and Yuzhou passed their Ph.D. qualifying exam.
- 04/2020 IoT device security research is funded by Cyber Florida Collaborative Seed Program.
- 03/2020 SolarFinder source code and data are released on CPS GitHub.
- 01/2020 SolarFinder paper accepted at ACM/IEEE IPSN 2020 (AR: 22.13%) part of CPS-IoT Week.
- 10/2019 Received Appreciation Certificate from IGSC Steering Committee.
- 09/2019 Organize CPSBigData 2019 Workshop.
- 08/2019 Solar-TK paper is accepted at (the 16th) MASS 2019.
- 08/2019 IoT device identification paper is accepted at (the 38th) MilCom 2019.
- 06/2019 Serve as PC member for AIChallengeIoT 2019, New York.
- 04/2019 Serve as Keynote Speaker at Cybersecurity in Florida Public Transportation Workshop.
- 04/2019 Attend NSF CISE Career Workshop with travel grant.
- 04/2019 Serve as PC member for IEEE AICCSA'19, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- 03/2019 Serve as PC member for IEEE BigData'19, Los Angeles, USA.
- 01/2019 Smart Building Image Processing Project is funded by Google Cloud $9,976.
- 09/2018 Sun paper is accepted to ACM BuildSys'18 (Accept Rate: 24.19%)
- 08/2018 Joined FIU SCIS as tenure-track Assistant Professor.
- [IPSN’20] SolarFinder: Automatic Detection of Solar Photovoltaic Arrays.
Qi Li, Yuzhou Feng, Yuyang Leng and Dong Chen.
In Proc. of the 19th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, IPSN'20, April 21-24, 2020, Sydney, Australia, Acceptance Rate = 21.33%.
- [Milcom'19] IoTSpot: Identifying the IoT Devices Using Their Anonymous Network Traffic Data.
Liangdong Deng, Yuzhou Feng, Dong Chen, and Naphtali Rishe.
In Proc. of the 38th IEEE Military Communications Conference, MILCOM 2019, November 12-14, 2019, Norfolk, VA.
- [MASS'19] Solar-TK: A Data-driven Toolkit for Solar PV Performance Modeling and Forecasting.
Noman Bashir, Dong Chen, David Irwin, and Prashant Shenoy.
In Proc. of the 16th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Smart Systems, November 4-7, 2019, Monterey, CA, USA.
- [BuildSys'18] Staring at the Sun: A Physical Black-box Solar Performance Model.
Dong Chen, Joseph Breda, David Irwin.
In Proc. of the 2018 ACM International Conference on Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments (BuildSys'18), November 07 - 08, 2018. Acceptance rate: 24.19%.
- [ICDCS'18] Private Memoirs of IoT Devices: Safeguarding User Privacy in the IoT Era.
Dong Chen, Phuthipong Bovornkeeratiroj, David Irwin and Prashant Shenoy
In Proc. of the 38th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS'18), July 2 – 5, 2018, Vienna, Austria.
- [BigData'17] Weatherman: Exposing Weather-based Privacy Threats in Big Energy Data.
Dong Chen, David Irwin.
In Proceedings of 2017 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (BigData'17), Boston, MA, USA, Dec 11-14, 2017. Accept Rate = 87/437 = 20%.
- [Sigmetrics'17/Greenmetrics'17] Black-box Solar Performance Modeling: Comparing Physical, Machine Learning, and Hybrid Approaches.
Dong Chen, David Irwin.
In Proceedings of 2017 ACM Greenmetrics (Greenmetrics'17), Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA, June 6, 2017. Re-published: Performance Evaluation Review, Vol. 45, No. 2, September 2017.
[Paper]-[Sigmetrics17/Greenmetrics17 Travel Grant]
- [eEnergy'17] SunDance: Black-box Behind-the-Meter Solar Disaggregation.
Dong Chen, David Irwin.
In Proceedings of the eighth ACM International Conference on Future Energy Systems (e-Energy'17), Hongkong, 2017. Acceptance ratio = 26.7%.
[Paper]-[Data Release]-[eEnergy17 travel grant]
- [BuildSys'16] SunSpot: Exposing the Location of Anonymous Solar-powered Homes.
Dong Chen, Srinivasan Iyengar, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy.
In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Conference on Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments (BuildSys'16), Stanford, CA, USA, 2016. Accept Rate = 24.48%.
[Paper]-[Presentation]-[Data Release]-[Sensys16/Buidlsys16 Travel Grant]
- [SmartGridComm'16] SmartSim: A Device-Accurate Smart Home Simulator for Energy Analytics.
Dong Chen, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy.
In Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm'16), Sydney, Australia, 2016.
- [TOSG'15] Preventing Occupancy Detection from Smart Meters.
Dong Chen, Sandeep Kalra, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy, and Jeannie Albrecht.
IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 6(5), pp.2426-2434, 2015, Impact Factor: 7.364.
- [Percom'14] Combined Heat and Privacy: Preventing Occupancy Detection from Smart Meters.
Dong Chen, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy, Jeannie Albrecht.
In Proceedings of the 12th IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (Percom'14), Budapest, Hungary, 2014. Acceptance rate = 14%.
- [BuildSys'13] Non-Intrusive Occupancy Monitoring using Smart Meters.
Dong Chen, Sean Barker, Adarsh Subbaswamy, David Irwin, Prashant Shenoy.
In Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Workshop On Embedded Sensing Systems For Energy-Efficiency In Buildings (BuildSys'13), Roma, Italy, November 11-15, 2013. Accept Ratio = 39%.
- COP 4610: Operating Systems (Fall 2018, Fall 2019, Fall 2020)
- COP 5614: Operating Systems (Spring 2019, Spring 2020)
- Research Group Pic: Feb. 2020 (FIU)
- Qi Li (Since Spring 2019, from: Northeastern University)
- Keyang Yu (Since Fall 2019, from: Southeast University)
- Yuzhou Feng (Since Fall 2019, from: Beihang University)
- Keyang Yu (from: Southeast University, first employment: PhD student at FIU)
- Xu Li (from: Beihang University, first employment: Facebook)
- Anwar Numa (FIU)
- Leonardo Gutierrez (FIU)
- ACM Computing Surveys
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology
- Ad Hoc Network
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernerics: Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- Journal of Intelligent Systems
- Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering
- KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems
- Journal of Computer Science and Information Systems
- International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing
- Jorabian Journal for Science and Engineering
- IET Control Theory and Applications
- Applied Energy
- IEEE Access
- The 16th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Application (AICCSA'19), Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- 2019 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big Data 2019), Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- 2019 the Twelfth International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3), Noida, India.
- 2018 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big Data 2018), Seattle, WA.
- International Symposium on Next Generation Computing and Internet, Dubai (NextGenCIT 2015)
- IC Engineering and Computational Innovative Sciences, Morocco (ENCINS 2015)
- 19th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS 2019), Stockholm, Sweden
- 15th IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology (ISSPIT'15)
- Workshop on Hot Topics in Cyber-Physical Systems, China (HotCPS 2011)
- Second International Symposium on Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications (ISTA'16)
- International Symposium on Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications (ISTA'15)
- 2012 IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications
- Top 50 Public Research University.
- FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures.
- FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education.
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. FIU is ranked a top-50 innovative public university by U.S. News & World Report and a top-50 national public university by Washington Monthly. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students real opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian—FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond.
Adapted from a template by Matei Zaharia.