COT 5407: Introduction to Algorithms -- Spring 2019
Class: Room GL 137; TuTh: 5:00 to 6:15 PM
Office: ECS 254B; Phone: (305) 348-3748;
Office Hours: TBA
Final Exam: April 23, 2019; 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM; GL 137
- Feb 19 MIDTERM EXAM is postponed to Feb 28, not Feb 26 in class.
- Feb 19: Homework 3 is ready. The deadline is Feb 25, 11:59 PM.
- Feb 4: Homework 2 deadline is extended to Feb 11, 11:59 PM.
- Jan 29: Homework 2 is ready. See below.
- Jan 19: Send Homework 1 in pdf form to email@example.com by the stated deadline.
- Jan 15: Homework 1 is ready. See below.
Read the Submission Guidelines before you start to work
on the homework. These guidelines will explain the policy for collaboration and cheating and
will also tell you how to submit, how to name your files, where to send it, etc.
- Jan 8: Find the course homepage on canvas.fiu.edu
- Jan 8: Homework 1 [pdf]; Due Jan 22;
- Jan 29: Homework 2 [pdf]; Due Feb 11;
- Feb 25: Homework 3 [pdf]; Due Feb 25;
LECTURE TRANSPARENCIES & REQUIRED READING
Note Lectures are also available through Canvas and
- Jan 8: Lecture 1 [pdf]; Chapter 1 from CLRS [Cormen et al. text]
- Jan 10: Lecture 2 [pdf]; Chapters 2 & 3 from CLRS
- Jan 15: Lecture 3 [pdf]; Sec 4.4, 4.5 & 7.1 from CLRS
- Jan 17: Lecture 4 [pdf]; Chapters 7 and 8.1 from CLRS
- Jan 22: Lecture 5 [pdf]; Chapters 6 & 8.2-8.4 from CLRS
- Jan 24: Lecture 6 [pdf]; Chapter 9 from CLRS
- Jan 29: Lecture 7 [pdf]; Chapter 12 from CLRS
- Jan 31: Lecture 8 [pdf]; Chapters 13 and 14 from CLRS
- Feb 5: Lecture 9 [pdf]; Video of Lecture 9 [mp4]; Chapter 16 from CLRS
- Feb 7: NO CLASS
- Feb 12: Lecture 10 [pdf]; Chapter 15 from CLRS
- Feb 14: Lecture 11 [pdf]; Chapter 15 from CLRS
- Feb 19: Lecture 12 [pdf]; Chapter 15 from CLRS
- Feb 21:
- Feb 26:
MIDTERM EXAM MIDTERM REVIEW
- Feb 28: MIDTERM EXAM
- Mar 5:
- Mar 7:
- Mar 12: SPRING BREAK
- Mar 14: SPRING BREAK
- Mar 19:
- Mar 21:
- Mar 26:
- Mar 28:
- Apr 2:
- Apr 4:
- Apr 9:
- Apr 11:
- Apr 16:
- Apr 18:
- Apr 23: FINAL EXAM
"Introduction to Algorithms", (Third Edition) by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein
[ISBN 0-262-03384-8] (MIT Press)
This book is published by both MIT Press and McGraw Hill Publishers with different
ISBN numbers! Both versions have the exact same content. You may want to find a
copy with a CD-ROM containing Java implementations of the algorithms from the book.
Other Useful Books
- Algorithm Design, by Kleinberg and Tardos.
- Computer Algorithms S. Baase and A. van Gelder, 3rd
Edition, Addison Wesley, 2000. ISBN: 0-201-61244-5.
- Algorithms in C++ (Parts 1-4; Part 5), by Sedgewick
- Data Structures, Algorithms, and Applications in Java, by Sahni.
- Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of
NP-Completeness, by M. Garey and D.S. Johnson, 1979
(Publishers: W. H Freeman and Company).
- Approximation Algorithms for NP-hard Problems, by Dorit Hochbaum,
PWS Publishing Co., 1997.
- Computational Geometry, by de Berg, van Kreveld,
- Randomized Algorithms, by Motwani and
- Algorithm on Strings, Trees, and Sequences, by Gusfield
- Handbook of Discrete and Computational
Geometry, by Goodman and O'Rourke
- Combinatorial Optimization, by
Papadimitriou and Steiglitz
- Algorithms, by Dasgupta, Papadimitriou, and Vazirani
- Recurrence Relations and Analysis of Algorithms
- Incremental and Divide-and-Conquer Algorithms
- Sorting and Order Statistics
- Lower Bound Arguments
- Basic data structures: trees, hash tables, priority queues, union/find
- Graphs & Graph Algorithms
- Dynamic Programming & Greedy Algorithms
- String and Geometric Algorithms
- Experimental Algorithmics
Last modified: Wed Feb 13 16:22:27 EST 2019